Over 70% of the persons who thrive in the tech world, when you mention emails, what drops in their mind is Gmail. Gmail is the leading online email service with over 1.5 billion users worldwide. In most tech firms and industries, emailing is a full-blown method of communication.
As the unending flow of emails grows every day, you receive emails so much it becomes hard to stay on track and keep tabs, ranging from work-related to travels, receipts, marketing, etc.
With so much to read, you might miss out on some really important emails because it’s become so chaotic and if your mailbox could overflow, it would be pouring out already. Fortunately for you and me, Gmail has got us covered.
Get the latest phone and laptop deals, tips and news straight on WhatsApp. Don’t miss out
Gmail offers a solution that enables us to organize our emails into folders; you can then open a folder and find out what is new rather than the littered box where you had before.
Before we go on, you have to understand Gmail doesn’t have folders instead, there are labels. Labels function as folders in Gmail.
However, since we are mostly used to the convenient name “Folder”, in the course of this article, folder will be used interchangeably with label and the reverse as well.
With that said, why do you need to create a folder; it is always great to have an organized environment especially when your pattern of organization is a simple one. You might not receive a crowd of emails a day but you certainly don’t want to lose any important ones or have them in the spam.
This is why structuring these emails is great and helps your inbox look tidy.
Imagine selecting emails that to tech updates into one folder and putting a blue label for specification. This will make sorting through your inbox much easier.
How to Create A Folder in Gmail on Mac/Windows
There are two methods to achieving this, and they are:
This is a short method
- Open a browser
- Go to Gmail
- Sign into your account.
- Go to the sidebar, the one with all your menus, such as inbox, sent, spam, etc.
- Click more > Select Create New
- Name your label in the pop-up window
You can go further to create sub-labels under a particular label to further specify mails. For instance, you have a work label; sub-labels under it could be clients, partners, etc.
Need to get a phone or laptop? Chat with us on WhatsApp
The long method or right procedure;
- Go to settings: Clicking on the setting icon
- Select labels
- Create new labels, you can also create sub-labels
- Hit save.
You can make preferences in the settings, such as “show in message list”, “show in label”, etc.
Great, now you have created your first label. The labels or folder will appear on your sidebar; you can assign them colors and make them stand out. However, the looming quest is why is the label empty? How do I get messages in there?
- Select the messages from your inbox
- Click “move” on the button bar above the emails or right-click on the message, and select “move”.
- Select the label you want to be applied to it.
How to Create Folders in Gmail App on Mobile
Yes, you can apply this folder function on your Smartphone in your Gmail app as well
Open the Gmail app and follow this step by step procedure;
- Click on the Google button on the top left of your screen (The three dash icon).
- Click on “Create new”.
- Name your label, once you are certain of the name; click “Done”.
Adding messages to the label or folder is also easy
- From your inbox, select the mails you want in that folder.
- You will see a 3 dot icon at the top right, click it. A pop-up menu will appear.
- On the pop-up menu, click move to: this will prompt a list of all available labels, you have created.
- Choose the folder you want those selected messages moved to.
BUY AND SELL PHONES NOW FOR FREE – visit
You can repeat this process, with as many created labels as you please. In conclusion, a cluttered inbox can be such a pain for most users; luckily, Gmail has given us this solution that quickly organizes our inbox.
Recommended for you