Tecno Pop 4 is an entry-level Android smartphone released this year (2020).
It is one of the first 2GB RAM phones with Android Go Edition. Google recently made it mandatory that 2GB RAM phones run Android Go. Android Go Edition is a lean and trim version of Android that is optimised to run more smoothly on low-end hardware.
Before this time, only 1GB RAM phones run Android Go Edition. Because of this, they should run smoother than if they have been using full Android. But they barely did. That is why a new policy was introduced. Android Go and 2GB RAM are a match made in heaven. Gadgetsmart.ng would advise that every Android phone with 2GB RAM out there should switch to Go Edition.
Tecno Pop 4 Full specification
- 5000mAh battery with 5W standard charging
- 5 MP selfie camera
- 8 MP rear camera
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB internal storage
- 6-inch IPS LCD screen
- Android 9 + HiOS v6.2
- Mediatek MT6580M
- Dedicated microSD card slot
- 3.5mm audio headset port.
What is inside the box of a brand new Tecno Pop 4?
- The phone itself
- A hard silicon case
- Wall power plug
- USB charging cable
- 3.5 mm headphone
- Warranty card
TECNO POP 4 review: Quick Pros And Cons
These are the major pros and cons of this device.
- It is well built and feels solid in the hand
- it has very good battery life
- performance is impressive for a 2GB RAM phone
- the operating system and user interface are riddled with bloatware and ad banners typical of phones produced by Transsion
- it has no 4G LTE radio
List of pre-installed apps on TECNO POP 4
Tecno Pop 4 came with a truckload of pre-installed apps – pretty much bloatware. I counted at least 17 of them. They include:
- Phoenix browser
- AI Gallery
- Vskit Lite – short videos fromMalasia, etc. Uninstalled.
- Ficool Go – novels and books. Uninstalled.
- AHA Games
- Scooper – a content platform, news, human interest, etc. Uninstalled
- Phone Master
- TECNO SPOT
- Boomplay – can be uninstalled
- RAM cleaner
In all, I have had a good time with the POP 4. It is an impressive entry-level smartphone. If HiOS were more refined than it is now, I imagine that the POP 4 will shine even brighter. The ads are irritating but can be gotten rid off with some digging. The hardware is good and the software can be tamed.
If you need an entry-level smartphone that isn’t so sluggish that it makes you want to tear your hair out, has good battery life, and generally gets the job done, and if you don’t mind not having 4G Internet, Tecno Pop 4 is the one.