With insecurity almost becoming a mainstay in this country, Nigeria, it becomes very vital for its ruling body to secure the lives and properties of its citizens by curating a complete detailed record of every citizen. This is only possible by capturing and data collection.
In 2019, the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) was empowered by the Nigerian government to make NIN (National Identity Number) a major pre-condition for every citizen. Therefore, if you don’t have NIN, you stand the risk of not being recognized as a citizen of this country.
Get the latest phone and laptop deals, tips and news straight on WhatsApp. Don’t miss out
This article is here to detail how you can check your NIMC details online with easy steps.
Before we jump into these steps, it is vital to mention at this point, that if you have not registered for NIMC, you can’t go check any detail, you can’t water what you have not planted right?
To check your in NIMC online means you must have previously registered or enrolled in the registration process. It usually takes 1 to 5 working days for NIN to be fully processed and ready after registration.
To register, go to a registration center close to you in your environment, enroll for the registration, follow their instructions closely, provide all necessary information required correctly and submit for the procession. After the procession, you will be issued a slip that contains every detail you provided earlier, plus your identification number.
You can also go to nimc.gov.ng and begin the enrollment process online and use the enrollment center locator to locate the enrollment center closest to you for other necessary steps.
How to Check Your NIMC Details Online
- Download and install the NIMC’s MWS mobile application when your phone or visit the NIMC portal at myportal.nimc.gov.ng
- Have your National Identification Number (NIN) ready.
- With a secure internet connection, launch the NIMC’s MWS app on your device.
- On the screen, click the “I need a PIN” button
- Note the user ID and the “one-time pin” (OTP) displayed on the app in the “Get OTP” section.
- Use the user ID and OTP to sign in to the myportal.nimc.gov.ng portal you check your NIMC or even the status if you are still waiting for your card to be ready.
- You can print this slip by going to the “print improved NIN slip” section on the portal’s homepage, and then, download both sides of the NIMC as a PDF document.
For those of us without internet access or who can’t go through the stress of navigating the website, you can still check your NIN, if you had misplaced your slip earlier or forgotten the NIN digits.
You can get your NIN through the USSD code, simply
- Dial *346# on your phone
- Choose the option “NIN Retrieval” by pressing option 1.
- If you are using the same number as the one used for registration in the first place, then, go ahead with the above steps. If not, you may need to retrieve your sim card first.
Also, to bear in mind, the USSD service is charged #20 naira per trial. If you check with the USSD code once, you are charged #20 naira, checking again will be charged another fee of the same amount, so it is advised to check and write down to avoid repeating the USSD retrieval process.
What is the NIMC used for and why is it so important?
The 11-digit number called NIN is given to every Nigerian, each individual’s number is unique from the others, thus identifying that individual for life. This NIN is not given with any fee or payment, it is free. This number helps bring all records or information such as demographic information, fingerprint, picture, biometric data, etc. associated with that NIN. This makes it easy to verify and identify the bearer of the NIN in use. Both citizens at home and those in the diaspora must have their NIN in Nigeria.
This NIN is useful in terms of security because it aids in watching and tracking people’s movement through their transactions both within and outside the country.
It also aids the provision of actual records of living or dead persons in various regions of the country.
In cases of provision of governmental aids or services, such as pension, recruitment, etc. the use of the NIN comes in handy.
Identifying individuals for a bank transaction, land transaction, passport issuance, etc. is easier with the use of NIN.
It can also help with fraud cases and in verifying voters’ eligibility.
These are just a few vital reasons showing the importance of the NIN in our Society.
Do follow the steps to check your NIMC details online, and if you have lost your NIN slip, simply use the USSD code to get it right back and go online to check your NIMC details. I hope this article helps you.
Recommended for you